Thursday, January 28, 2010

A quick hello from mamaDetty

Well here I am into my third week in Kenya, and it feels like I have only arrived. It was wonderful to see Candice again, waiting for me at the Nairobi airport . Nancy was also there, she was on her way out to visit with her family in Australia. We stayed in Nairobi over night, and then began the adventure. We arrived in Kitale around 4pm on the 14th, and were soon at my new home of the next 6 weeks. The Ochana’s are very wonderful and God loving people who welcomed me with great enthusiasm.
The sunrises and sunsets in Kenya are absolutely magnificent, but far outshining them are the people, especially the children. Everywhere you go the children are so excited to see us mzungus (white people). They above all else have stolen my heart. There is one little girl 12 at Mercy Home who has attached herself to me as my special friend, something they do when someone new comes. Her name is Angelina,she is 12 years old, and very sweet, each time I come to the home, she is there to greet me and make me feel very special. We usually spent a little time together just her and I. Mercy Home is filled with many such children, all very special and just wanting to shower us with love and attention.
On the other side of things are the many poor, hungry and homeless street kids, always begging for food or shillings, some or I should say most of them carrying around there bottles of glue they sniff to ease the pain of hunger. I just want to pick them all up and take them home, but of course this is impossible. That is why what Mercy Home is doing is such a blessing , this is where many of the children have come from. With the help of God and Mercy Home they will grow up to be strong men and women.
Every day here is an adventure, and one thing I have learned, is to be very flexible. This is one of the teams motto’s and a very necessary one, cause no matter how well you plan things, chances are it will take not go as planned. This is not always a bad things, cause God’s plans are not always ours plans and we must be sensitive to His leading.
Candice, David and I are planning a day trip into Eldoride(about a two hour bus ride)some time in the next week, possibly Monday or Tuesday. There we will do some shopping and just look around town. Today we are going to set up the new swing set we had made, thanks to so many of you who donated. Candice, David and I painted it here at the our home yesterday, and it looks pretty awesome. The kids have no idea this is happening and I know they will be thrilled. The big problem will be making them wait for the cement footings to dry. It should be ready to go by Saturday!
I really could go on and on about everything here, but I just mainly wanted to let you know how blessed I feel to be here and help in any way I can with this great work that has been going on here at Mercy Home. God willing I will be able to return again one day, but for now my prayer is God use me in anyway you can.
There now, that wasn't so hard, wonder why I put it off for so long...talk to you again soon...God Bless

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mama Detty,
    Great blog entry. Thanks for taking the time. So heartwrenching to hear about the street children. We will endeavor to give praise and thanks to God for all that we have. We are truly blessed. Keep up the great work and say a belated Happy Birthday to Candice for me and a big hug for David, especially.
    Cathy Williams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Detty & Candice
    Great blog...just read it to Ernie, and it sounds very exciting! Bet you wish you could pack all the children in your suitcase, eh? See Gerry often; all's well at home.
    Miss you.....looking forward to seeing you back!
    Love, Delyse

    ReplyDelete