Friday, January 8, 2010

David Wednesday January 6, 2010

Today I met a very nice fellow. His name was Thomas. He was a very, tall man with a quite a long neck and a nice purple tongue. Thomas was very outgoing to all of us and I enjoyed meeting him a lot. Here is pictures of Thomas.







We had finally made some concrete plans to go on a little tourist outing to see African animals at a place called captain Davis a place David Ochana had wanted to take us too for a while since we had been here. As we were just driving through the gate of the place I spotted Thomas the giraffe standing in the field next to the driveway with a bunch of horses. We all gazed out the car window in excitement to see our first giraffe, but because it was standing so still, Trudy refused to believe it was real. When I tried to reason with her and tell her to see that its head was moving from side to side she said, “yes its head is moving from side to side but it’s in a mechanical way because that’s all it does.”


“Ok” I said realizing that I was going nowhere. I mean was it to hard to believe that there were real giraffes in a wildlife park in Kenya? This wasn’t no Disney land. When the giraffe actually started to walk towards us as we got out of the car I knew I had won.


We were led on a nice tour of the place, where we saw some gazelles, antelopes, zebras, and second best all behind the giraffe was two rhino’s. These things are pure beast. I was told they weighed around 4400 pounds and around 6 feet tall. Pictures don’t do them justice as to how massive these animal’s were up close. Rhinoceroses are also clever. Did you know they always sleep, eat and even do their business in exactly the same spots every time? The spot they had chosen to always they do their business was the most apparent. Not like cows where they they go everywhere

We spent allot of time with the very friendly Thomas the Giraffe and he seemed to want to get as close to us as possible. A staff member came with some brown sugar squares and it was fun for us to feed him. He would stick his long big purple tongue out and curl it around the squares in our hand and then suck his tongue back in. After amusing ourselves for a while and getting lots of pictures and videos we continue the tour and see the ostriches. But Candice and I didn’t just see them. We rode them. Yup, that’s I got on one of those huge massive birds and rode it like a horse. Sure it was over priced but who in their life can say they have rode an ostriche. Oh and say they also saw a unicorn, except it was really a large gazelles like creature born only with its right horn. Close enough right?

-David

3 comments:

  1. Fun to read your entry about the wildlife park. Great photos of you and Thomas! Thanks for sharing your experience with us on your blog. Wonder why Trudy was so sceptical about Thomas being real? Do they have such things as giant mechanized giraffes in Kenya? Lots of laughs, anyways.
    Keep us the great entries, David. Heaps of love from Mom and Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, this is such a great post, David. I love it...sounds like an experience of a lifetime :)

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David, I miss you. I ride my mountain bike a lot in the cul-de-sac. Your mom cut my hair last night and I stayed overnight in Anna's room. We had delicious waffles for breakfast! See you in March.
    Love,
    Joshua

    ReplyDelete