Saturday, November 7, 2009

a week of stories part 3

David Wednesday November 4, 2009
Today was the first day of the Kitale agriculture show. Candice, Dane and I, met Benson and Esther there at 10 am. This show is a big deal here and attracts thousands and thousands of people, mostly school students. Since today was opening day it wasn’t very crowded. The first thing Dane and Benson wanted to see was the green house where they had tomatoes growing. The reason why is because were going to build a green house pretty soon at Mercy Home, and also have tomatoes. We also looked at perfectly grown, cabbages, corn, and coffee trees. After we had looked at the plants and vegetables, we looked at the farm animals. We saw some pigs, ducks, rabbets, chickens, cows, and my personal favorite, goats. A goats appearance reminds me of men trapped forever as a goat. The sound they make is hilarious too. Around noon we went for lunch and Benson picked a place for us. Outside of the hotel we saw a small pen of chickens, beside the pen was a bqq where a lady had a plucked chicken on a stick and was roasting it. The chicken’s neck was still even a little bloody. It was then that I decided not to order chicken before I even went into the place. We all sat down, and before I had time to look at the menu, Ehster had shouted something at the waiter, and a few minutes later the waiter brought each of us a nice fresh piece of chicken with French fries. Now that’s the Kenyan way of doing things. I can’t imagine that would go over to well in Canada. Ordering Chicken and the next minute here the chicken squawking in the back for its life. It turned out to be the best chicken I have had here since. After Lunch Candice and I wondered around the show looking for the supposed Camels but we found out later they would be there on Friday. Candice decided to be brave and go on a swing set amusement park ride while I watched. As I was watching I was standing next to some people setting up speakers, and within minutes they started pumping out Kenyan rap music and one high school boy started to groove to it like there was no tomorrow. Pretty soon it became infectious and there must have been 20 students all dancing and jamming out to the music. That’s one of the cool things I’ve noticed about Africans, it doesn’t matter who you are, how old you are, and what your gender is, they all can dance with remarkable talent. It was quite a site to see; how everyone just lets them selves go and jam out to the music. As for me I just filmed them with my camera. We left the show, and Dane and I went with Benson and Esther back to Mercy Home, but Candice decided to get dropped off at home. That night, we had our usual delicious dinner, and devotions then I went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment